10 Do’s and Don’ts For Amsterdam’s Red Light District
Posted on: July 14, 2014
10 Do’s and Don’ts for Amsterdam’s Red Light District
There are a couple of things you really need to know before visiting this legendary area in Holland’s capital. Let’s start off with 10 do’s, to be continued with 10 don’ts.
10 Do’s for Amsterdam’s Red Light District
- Do be respectful towards the sex workers.
- When visiting a prostitute, pay in advance and negotiate beforehand.
- Do visit at least one (cannabis) coffeeshop, as this is part of the Dutch culture. If you don’t like cannabis, just order something to drink.
- Do experience the Museum of Prostitution.
- Do check out World’s First Specialised Condom Shop, The Condomerie.
- Do have a drink in Cafe In ‘t Aepjen or Cafe Aen ‘t Water – typical Dutch pubs.
- Do check out Chinatown in the Red Light District.
- Do enter the oldest building of Amsterdam, The Old Church.
- Do see the Nieuwmarkt and The Waag.
- Do take a guided tour, you’ll be surprised what our local guides can teach you. It’s interesting, fun and healthy!
10 Dont’s for Amsterdam’s Red Light District
- Don’t take pictures of sex workers!
- Don’t tap or spit on the windows.
- Don’t peek through cracks in the curtains.
- Don’t go standing too long in front of the window brothels – don’t block their business
- Don’t throw things into the canals.
- Don’t combine magic mushrooms with alcohol or marijuana.
- Don’t take the riksja’s. They are overpriced.
- Don’t buy drugs from street dealers. They mostly sell fake-drugs.
- Don’t use the streets as a public toilet. You’ll be fined.
- Don’t have unprotected sex with prostitutes.
Would you like hear more tips and interesting stories? CLICK HERE to read some other things you didn’t know about Amsterdam’s Red Light District.
Or join one of our tours and be fascinated by stories that make this area so special! Our local guides will show you all the best, hidden places that tourists never see!